Master of Dental Surgery
Post Graduate Degree
After successful completion of BDS, one of the most preferred options among students is to enroll for a Post Graduate Dentistry course. MDS (Master of Dental Surgery) is a three-year post-graduation course that offers specialization in various dental subjects that were taught in BDS. However, there is a provision of two years MDS Course for candidates who have passed Post Graduate Diploma course recognized by the DCI of the duration of two years in a particular specialty. Bangalore, which has few of the nationwide famous healthcare infrastructure in India, also houses some of the premier dental colleges in India where thousands of students pursue their career in dentistry.
MDS degree prepares you to become a registered dental specialist as it develops the skills of research and critical analysis and advances your knowledge in the chosen area of specialization.
In this three-year postgraduate dental course, the students opt to specialize in nine subjects:
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Community Dentistry
- Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics
- Oral Medicine and Radiology
- Oral Pathology and Microbiology
- Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics
- Pedodontic and Preventive Dentistry
In the present day scenario, when there are numerous career opportunities after BDS completion, MDS still holds its worth because:
- It gives you better job opportunities in India and abroad with a handsome pay package.
- You will have a higher preference than other candidates with graduate degrees, in government jobs.
- It gives you an extra edge in your clinical set-up.
- It is useful for candidates who wish to pursue a career in academics rather than clinical practice.
- It gives you a chance to serve in branded hospitals.
Who is eligible for Master Of Dental Surgery?
A candidate who seeks to pursue MDS as a post-graduation course must fulfill the following eligibility criteria:
- Citizens of India or Overseas Citizen of India or Person of Indian Origin (PIO)
- Possess a Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) degree or a provisional pass certificate in BDS from an Indian University/College recognized by the Dental Council of India.
- Carry a provisional or permanent registration certificate from the State Dental Council or the Dental Council of India.
Entrance Exam for MDS Admission
A candidate should qualify the National Eligibility and Entrance Test or NEET MDS for admission in Master Of Dental Surgery course. NEET MDS is an All India entrance exam conducted by CBSE (Central Board of Secondary Education) for admissions to MDS courses in India offered by the dental colleges approved by the Dental Council of India.
Besides the above eligibility criteria, candidates who complete their one-year internship programme in BDS or are likely to do so before 31st March of the proposed year can also appear in the NEET exam.
After MDS, there are a plethora of employment opportunities for you. Choose the one that syncs with your passion.
- Lecturer in Dental colleges
If you are interested in teaching, take up the job of a lecturer in the dental colleges. However, with fewer vacancies for lectureship, Dental Council of India is working to create career opportunities as a ‘Research Associate’ in the dental colleges. Such an effort by DCI will help to increase the available chances for MDS degree holders and enhance the quality of research projects in Dentistry.
- Private Practice
You can set up your clinic after your post-graduation. However, it requires investment regarding time and money, and diligence to kick-start your private practice.
- Cosmetic Dental Clinics
Cosmetic Dentistry involves improving the color, size, shape, position, and alignment of teeth to enhance the overall appearance of one’s smile. With specialization in aesthetic dentistry that includes bleaching of teeth, bonding, placing porcelain laminates, and replacing the fillings, one can procure a high-paying job in the cosmetic dental clinics.
- Private jobs in dental hospitals and nursing homes
With specialization in any of the dental subjects, you can apply as a dental surgeon, oral pathologist, dental hygienist, dental consultant, and public health specialist in various dental hospitals and nursing homes.
- Research and advisory functions in pharmaceutical firms
Clinical research is Dentistry consists of an investigation of the safety and efficiency of the oral care and allied products manufactured by the different pharmaceutical firms. After MDS, you can work as a medical advisor, treatment researcher, drug and treatment investigator, and data project manager with various pharmaceutical firms.
- Government jobs
As a dental postgraduate, you are eligible for the following government jobs
- State Government jobs as a dental surgeon
- Indian Railways as a dentist
- Indian Army or Navy or Airforce as a Dental officer – The maximum age limit to join the Indian Navy/Army/Airforce is 30 years, and you must attain a minimum of 60% marks in the final year of Master Of Dental Surgery course, from a recognized University. Also, you must have a permanent dental registration certificate issued after one-year of the mandatory internship.
- Indian Army as a Territorial officer – this job is open for only male aspirants between 18-42 years of age and who holds a degree from the government recognized University
- Central Government jobs in Civil Service
- National Rural Health Mission as a dentist
- Employees State Insurance Corporation as a dentist
- Dental consultant to actors and models
- Practice as a dentist abroad
To practice dentistry in the USA, you have to pursue a 2-year course of DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery). You must qualify NBDE (National Board Dental Examination), a national dental examination in the USA to secure admission in DDS course.
- Higher studies in Dentistry
After completing your Master Of Dental Surgery course, you can pursue advanced studies in the following arena:
- Ph. D. in Oral Medicine and Radiology, Orthodontics, Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, Periodontics, Prosthodontics, and Public Health Dentistry
- Candidate of Odontology (Cand. Odont.)
- DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery)
- DMS (Doctor of Medical Dentistry)
In the government and private sector, the pay package begins from INR 25,000 – 40,000 per month and increases with your growing experience, where one can expect a salary of INR 50,000 – 1, 50,000 per month. The opportunities for MDS degree holders are higher and lucrative in the overseas where the pay package ranges from INR 18 to 25 lakhs per annum. However, the earnings depend on the person’s proficiency and experience.