Course, Eligibility, Fees, Exams, Admission
Diploma in General Nursing and Midwifery (DGNM) is a three-and-half-year undergraduate Nursing course. It prepares the students to assist doctors at hospitals and clinics in taking complete care of the patients’ health.
After you complete the GNM Nursing course, you can register as a nurse or midwife with the State Nurse Registration Council.
GNM Nursing Course Details
The subjects taught during the course are:
- Biological Sciences
– Anatomy and Physiology
- Behavioral Sciences
- Fundamentals of Nursing
– First Aid
– Personal Hygiene
- Community Health Nursing I
– Environmental Hygiene
– Health Education and Communication Skills
- Medical-Surgical Nursing I (Pharmacology)
- Medical-Surgical Nursing II
– Communicable Diseases
– Orthopedic Nursing
– Ear, Nose, and Throat
– Ophthalmic Nursing
- Mental Health and Psychiatric Nursing
- Computer Education
- Midwifery and Gynecological Nursing
- Community Health Nursing II
- Pediatric Nursing
- Educational Methods and Media for Teaching in Practice of Nursing
- Introduction to Research
- Professional Trends and Adjustment
- Administration and Ward Management
- Health Economics
GNM Nursing Qualifications and Eligibility Details
The lower age limit for the course is 17 years, and the upper age limit is 30 years. The candidates who aspire to secure admission in the course should score a minimum of 45% marks (40% for the reserved category) in their 10 + 2 examinations with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as their subjects.
- Patience, responsibility, and dedication towards work
- Alertness of mind and physical fitness
- Team spirit
- Compassionate behavior
- Good communication
- and observation skills
- Hard working nature
GNM Nursing Exam Dates, Results and Counseling 2018
Most of the institutes admit students for Diploma in GNM Nursing on the basis of their scores in 10 + 2 exams; while selective institutes conduct entrance exams for the same. The various entrance exams in 2018 for Diploma for GNM Nursing admissions are:
Adesh University Nursing Admission Test
Conducted By: Adesh University, Bathinda
Registration Opens: 3rd week of July
Examination Dates: To be announced
BHU GNM Entrance exam
Conducted By: Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
Registration Opens: 2nd week of May to 3rd week of June 2018
Examination Dates: 3rd week of July 2018
Uttarakhand Nursing Admission test
Conducted By: HNBUMU University, Uttarakhand
Registration Opens: 2nd week to last week of June 2018
Examination Dates: 2nd week of July 2018
MCD Nursing Admission Test
Conducted By: North Delhi Municipal Corporation
Registration Opens: June 2018 to July 2018
Examination Dates: August 2018
Combined Paramedical and Nursing Entrance Test (CPNET)
Conducted By: Uttar Pradesh University of Medical Sciences
Registration Opens: 1st week of June
Examination Dates: 1st week of July
GNM Nursing Course Fees Structure
The fees structure for GNM Nursing varies from one institute to another. Government colleges provide nursing education at subsidized fees as compared to the private Institutes. Depending on the institute you take admission in, you can expect expenditure of INR 65,000 to 1.15 lakhs per year for your diploma.
Food and Accommodation
Hostel Fees and Accommodation would together cost a student in between 25,000 to 75,000 INR depending upon one’s preference of stay.
Career opportunities after Diploma in GNM Nursing
Diploma holders in General Nursing and Midwifery (GNM) have ample employment opportunities such as:
After GNM, you can pursue B. Sc Nursing (Post Certificate/ Post Basic). After graduation, you can opt for M. Sc Nursing or PG Diploma in Nursing and boost your career prospects.
Those interested in clinical jobs can get employment as a nurse or a certified nursing assistant in private and government hospitals, nursing homes, orphanages, nursing homes, industries, sanatoriums, and Armed forces.
You can also get employed in the Indian Red Cross Society, Indian Nursing Council, State Nursing Council, and other nursing institutions. You have excellent job opportunities both in India and abroad.
The job responsibilities of a nurse include:
- Assess the nursing needs of the patients
- Provide effective nursing care
- Solve problems in nursing practice
- Monitor the condition of the patients
- Assist in research activities
- Communicate the patient’s requirements to the doctor
- Set up medical equipment in operation theatres
A certified nursing assistant helps the licensed and registered nurses in the above activities. Further, they work to:
- Give medications or treatments such as catheterization, irrigation, enema, massage, and douches to the patient as per the doctor’s advice.
- Clean the patient rooms, bathrooms, examination rooms, and other patient areas.
- Prepare documents and reports on the patient’s behavior and complaints.
- Apply dressings, slings, stockings, or support bandages under the direction of the nurse or the doctor.
Primary Healthcare worker
After graduation, you can seek employment as a primary healthcare worker in primary health centers throughout India.
A Nurse educator or Nursing tutor
Those who are interested in academics can take up the job of a nurse educator where you teach licensed practical nurses (LPN) and registered nurses for entry into the nursing practice. You can also provide continuing nursing education to the staff in the patient care settings. You can also take up the teaching job in the nursing schools. With experience in teaching, you can get promoted to higher positions as an associate professor, reader, and professor.
Community Health Nurse
You can get jobs in the local hospitals, trauma centers, government agencies, schools, and NGOs as a community health nurse and play various roles like:
- Control the spread of communicable diseases
- Support the patients in their disease management
- Educate the local community about common health problems
- Help in social healthcare programs
- Provide prenatal care and education to the expectant mothers about maternal nutrition and childbirth
Salary and Earnings after Diploma in GNM Nursing
As a fresher nurse in India, you can expect a salary of INR 2.5 to 3.5 lacs per annum. With the gain in experience, you can earn between INR 7.5 to 8.5 lacs per year. Nurses who work in countries like Canada, UK, Australia, USA, and New Zealand make around INR 1 to 3 lacs per month. However, salaries depend upon several factors like working area, education, experience, location, and job profile.
GNM Nursing Admission in Bangalore
Nursing institutions in Bangalore are registered under Karnataka State Nursing Council. Some of the top Colleges in DGNM in Bangalore are:
Bapuji College Of Nursing
Acharyas N. R. School of Nursing
RR Nursing Institutions
Dayananda Sagar College Of Nursing
Sapthagiri College Of Nursing
Vydehi College Of Nursing
MVJ College Of Nursing
BGS College Of Nursing
Fortis Institute Of Nursing
Aditya College of Nursing