Course, Eligibility, Fees, Colleges, Admission
B Pharm or Bachelor in Pharmacy is a four-year undergraduate degree course in Pharmaceutical Science. Recognized by the Pharmacy Council of India (PCI), it is one of the favorite job-oriented courses amongst Science students.
A student of B Pharm learns about preparing medicines, their chemical and organic properties, effects on the human body, and dispensing of the right medication for a particular disease.
B Pharm Course and Syllabus
This undergraduate course is divided into eight semesters with each semester of 6 months duration. The subjects of study include:
1. Pharmaceutical Analysis I
2. Pharmaceutical Chemistry I (Inorganic Chemistry)
3. Pharmacognosy I
4. Remedial Mathematical Biology
5. Basic Electronics and Computer Applications
1. Pharmaceutics I (Physical Pharmacy)
2. Pharmaceutical Chemistry II & III (Physical Chemistry and Organic Chemistry I)
3. Advanced Mathematics
4. Anatomy, Physiology, and Health Education (APHE) I
1. Pharmaceutics II (Unit Operations I)
2. Pharmaceutical Chemistry IV (Organic Chemistry II)
3. Pharmacognosy II
4. Pharmaceutical Analysis II
5. APHE II
1. Pharmaceutics III & IV (Unit Operations II, Dispensing & Community Pharmacy)
2. Pharmaceutical Microbiology
3. Pharmacognosy III
4. Pathophysiology of common diseases
1. Pharmaceutical Chemistry V
2. Pharmaceutics V & VI (Pharmaceutical technology I and Hospital Pharmacy)
3. Pharmacology I
4. Pharmacognosy IV
1. Medicinal Chemistry I
2. Pharmaceutical Jurisprudence and Ethics
3. Bio-pharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics
4. Pharmacology II
5. Chemistry of Natural products
1. Pharmaceutical Biotechnology
2. Pharmaceutical Technology II
3. Pharmaceutical Industrial Management
4. Pharmacology III
5. Medicinal Chemistry II
6. Elective (Theory)
1. Pharmaceutics IX
2. Pharmaceutical Analysis III
3. Medicinal Chemistry III
4. Pharmacognosy V
5. Clinical Pharmacy and Drug Interactions
6. Project related to Elective
B Pharm Qualifications and Eligibility Details
All the aspiring candidates for B Pharm must fulfill the below eligibility criteria to take admission in this course:
• Pass 10 + 2 examinations in the Science stream from a recognized University or Board
• Score a minimum of 60% marks (55% for the reserved category) in 10 + 2 examination
• Diploma holders in Pharmacy can directly gain admission in the 2nd Year of B Pharma course after qualifying the requisite entrance examination. For such lateral entry, the candidate must have 50% aggregate in the First and Second Year of D Pharma.
• Calm and compassionate behavior
• Good analytical and communication skills
• Dedication towards the profession
B Pharm Exams, Dates, Results and Counseling
Some institutes provide admission based on the marks scored in the 10 + 2 examination while others conduct an entrance examination. Here’s a list of the state entrance examinations for admission to B Pharm:
Telangana State Engineering Common Entrance Test (TS ECET)
Andhra Pradesh Engineering Common Entrance Test (AP ECET)
Uttarakhand State Entrance Exam (UKSEE)
Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination (UPSEE)
Odisha Joint Entrance Examination (OJEE)
Karnataka Common Entrance Test (KCET)
Conducted By: Karnataka Examinations Authority
Registration Opens: 1st February to 22nd March 2018
Examination Dates: 18th April (Biology and Mathematics) and 19th April 2018 (Physics & Chemistry)
B Pharm Fees Structure
The fee structure is different across institutes. However, you need to spend an amount starting from INR 1,40,000 per year for this course.
Food and Accommodation
Hostel Fees and Accommodation would together cost a student in between 75,000 to 1,15,000 INR depending upon one’s preference of stay.
Career opportunities after B Pharm
After completing B Pharma, students have multiple opportunities such as:
You can go for higher studies like M. Pharma, MBA, and Ph. D (Pharmacy) to upgrade your skills and improve your career prospects. You can also appear for GRE, TOEFL, and IELTS entrance exams to pursue MBA and other pharmacy related courses in USA, UK, and Australia.
The drug stores in government and private hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, and community health centers hire pharmacy graduates as a pharmacist to check the prescriptions made by the doctor, dispense medicines to the patients, advice them, test the drugs in storage, and maintain the accounts and inventory. If you have enough financial resources, you can also start your drug store.
Pharmacy graduates have a proper scope in the sales department of the pharmaceutical companies/firms who manufacture machines, tools, and medicines. You can work there as a medical representative, sales manager, project manager.
Besides marketing, you can find jobs in the manufacturing department of the pharmaceutical companies as a quality control manager to develop, apply, revise, and maintain the quality standards of the manufactured products.
You can also get recruited as a technical supervisor, medical transcriptionist, quality analyst, or a production executive in pharmaceutical firms.
You can find jobs in the pharmaceutical research industry as a medical writer, CRO, data validation associate, clinical research associate.
Some institutes offer you a job as a lecturer for the diploma students.
Salary and Earnings after B Pharm
A fresh pharmacy graduate can expect a salary of INR 18, 000 – 20, 000 per month in clinical jobs and pharmaceutical research. Those interested in making a career in teaching can expect a remuneration of INR 10, 000 – 15, 000 per month. However, with the gain in experience, your earnings can go above INR 3 – 6 lacs a year. The pay is higher for pharmacists in foreign countries where earnings range from INR 5 – 7 lacs per year.
A medical representative is likely to earn INR 5, 000 -10, 000 per month plus the incentives. Your maximum salary depends upon the location of your work, your experience, capability, and the job profile.
B Pharm Admission and Colleges in Bangalore
Bangalore is the city with some of the top colleges in B Pharma affiliated to the Pharmacy Council of India.
Here’s the list of Top B Pharma colleges in Bangalore to pursue your graduation in pharmacy:
The Oxford College of Pharmacy
S. Ramaiah College of Pharmacy
Dayananda Sagar College of Pharmacy
Visveswarapura Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Krupanidhi College of Pharmacy
Acharya and BM Reddy College of Pharmacy
Aditya Bangalore Institute of Pharmacy Education and Research
Government College of Pharmacy
BES Institute of Pharmacy
Anupama College of Pharmacy
East West College of Pharmacy
Vivekananda College of Pharmacy
Gautham College of Pharmacy
Karnataka College of Pharmacy